A hand pallet truck, often referred to as a pallet jack, pallet lifter, or pump truck, is a manual material handling tool used in warehouses, distribution centres, and other industrial settings for lifting and moving palletized items. In place of powered equipment, it is a practical and affordable solution for handling pallets.
1. The load-bearing parts of the pallet truck are the forks. They are frequently constructed of sturdy steel and are sized to fit inside the gaps of regular pallets. By pressing the handle, the forks are elevated to lift the load off the ground after being positioned beneath the pallet.
2. Pumping Handle: The hydraulic lifting mechanism of the pallet truck is operated by the pumping handle. The forks are raised and lowered by a hydraulic mechanism when the handle is pumped up and down. As a result, the weight can be raised to a chosen height or lowered to the ground.
3. Wheels: Hand pallet trucks may be easily manoeuvred thanks to their wheels. They often have two sizable wheels at the back steering wheels or load wheels that swivel to allow the pallet truck to be manoeuvred. Additionally, there are two smaller wheels at the front known as tandem or load rollers that serve as support and aid in evenly dispersing the weight of the load.
4. Hand pallet trucks come in a variety of load capacities, usually ranging from 1,000 kg to 3,000 kg or more. The pallet truck's load capacity tells you how much weight it can safely transport. Picking a pallet truck with a load capacity appropriate for the particular load being transported is crucial.
5. Some hand pallet trucks have a brake or stop mechanism to hold the load in place when the truck is not in use or while loading or unloading. Safety is improved and unintended movement is reduced as a result.
Hand pallet trucks are frequently used for a variety of material handling operations, such as loading and unloading trucks, moving pallets about an establishment, and staging palletized items for storage. They provide an affordable alternative to manual pallet handling and are rather simple to use with little training needed.
However, when operating a manual pallet truck, it's essential to follow the right safety procedures. Operators should be cautious when operating on uneven surfaces or ramps, be aware of weight restrictions, and make sure the load is stable and uniformly distributed on the forks. In order to make sure the pallet truck is in good functioning condition, routine maintenance and inspections should be carried out.